What is a steam engine and In which areas is it used in health?
Humidity levels of 30% or less can lead to a range of problems such as dry skin and nosebleeds. And when the season of cold and flu comes, dry air worsens respiratory problems.
To prevent the negative effects of dry air, there are several types of humidifiers that you can find on the market, such as steam machines and cold steamers. These add moisture to the air and help relieve colds and congestion. There are differences between machines in the way they deliver moisture to the air.
You can buy steam engines from stores, pharmacies, or online.
What is a steam engine?
The steam engine, which is the basis of a treatment aimed at providing moisture, prevents dryness that can cause irritation in various parts of the body. Steam machines are especially effective in the treatment of dry skin, nose, throat, and lips. In addition, it alleviates the severity of symptoms caused by the flu or common cold.
In addition, frequent use of steam engines can potentially increase respiratory problems. It is important to know how to use them.
In what situations is the steam engine used?
Thanks to the steam engine, the moisture released into the air perform a natural anti-dryness function. This is why the steam engine is often used as a solution to the following problems:
- dry skin
- Sinus congestion/headache
- Dry throat
- Irritated nose
- Bloody nose
- Irritated vocal cords
- Dry cough
- Chapped lips
When the air in your home dries up and the humidity decreases, you become prone to these ailments. The use of air conditioning is a situation that triggers the dryness of the air in your home. For this reason, you should be careful about the use of air conditioning.
Types of air humidifying machines
Steam humidifiers work with electricity. It heats the water and then cools it before discharging it into the air. These are the cheapest and most portable humidifier machines. You can get it from pharmacies.
It is not easy to use for children due to the possibility of causing burns.
ULTRASONIC COLD STEAM MACHINE
Ultrasonic humidifiers create a cold fog thanks to ultrasonic vibrations. The price of the machine will vary depending on the size you need for your home. Some more advanced models can create both cold and hot fog. The cold steamer equally helps with congestion caused by cold and flu. Moisture reaching irritated nasal passages and lung benefits.
The cold steam version of ultrasonic humidifiers is a suitable choice, especially if you have children. The type of humidifier you prefer varies according to your budget and the size of the area you will moisturize. Some other humidification machines are as follows:
- Central humidifiers
- Impeller humidifiers
- Ultrasonic humidifiers
DIMENSIONS OF HUMIDIFYING MACHINES
Humidifiers are generally classified as console or portable.
Console units are suitable for adding moisture to an entire house or a room. Usually, they are very large, but thanks to the wheels you can easily move them.
Personal or portable steam machines are quite small in size and are the best choice if you need a humidifier while traveling.
CHECKING THE HUMIDITY LEVELS
Adding moisture to the air is a good practice, but excessive moisture can lead to the development of health problems. At high humidity levels, there is an uncomfortable amount of moisture in the air, which worsens respiratory distress. This situation causes the reproduction of dust mites, mold, and harmful bacteria in the environment.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the humidity in the environment should remain between 30 and 50%. A hygrometer is a device used to determine the amount of moisture in your home. Test the humidity daily, carefully monitoring the humidity level, especially if someone in your home has allergies or asthma.
What are the possible risks of a steam engine?
- Burns are the most common injuries caused by the steamer. Be more cautious of this risk, especially if you have children. Never let your children be near the steamer and do not put a hot steam machine in a child’s bedroom.
- If a steamer blows out too much moisture, it will cause condensation on the walls. The result is mold and can spread throughout the house. Excess moisture also causes indoor allergies. Dust mites are the number one household allergen and multiply by moisture from any source. The steam produced by the steam engine does not contain many pollutants, making it possibly a better choice against indoor allergens. Consult your allergist or immunologist for specific recommendations.
- An unclean steamer leads to bacterial growth that can cause coughs and colds. Although steam-machines get dirty quickly, they are the easiest to clean.
- Rinse off all used water between uses. Clean the machine regularly to prevent bacterial growth, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Wash the filter system every two or three days during use.
- Steam machines are potentially emitters of minerals and microorganisms. These microorganisms are not necessarily harmful, but they can irritate people with asthma. Use distilled water to avoid this problem.
- However, experts recommend the cold steam engine to avoid the risk of burns from hot steam or spills.
- Steam engines, on the other hand, don’t emit that many harmful minerals and other pollutants into the air. This is because it boils the water and releases pure steam. The biggest safety concern with these machines is the risk of burns from steam or spilled water. To avoid these risks, try to sit at least four feet away from the machine while it is operating.
- Both types of machines add moisture to the air. They just reach the same moisture levels in different ways. When the water reaches the lower respiratory tract, it is at the same temperature regardless of how it is produced.
How is the use of steam machines for babies and children?
Human parainfluenza viruses are a common cause of respiratory infections such as croup and bronchiolitis in children, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Both diseases can cause nasal congestion and cough, reducing moisture. Therefore, adding moisture to the air relieves a congested nose and is especially beneficial for babies and young children who cannot blow their noses.
When choosing between steam engines as hot or cold steam, it is important to consider what is appropriate for a particular age range. For example, hot steam is not a good option for use with children. Because the hot steamer boils the water, it can cause burns if it tumbles. A cold steamer that doesn’t have the potential to cause a burn is a better choice for children.
As a result, both the cold steamer and the hot steamer add moisture to the air in your home and help relieve your respiratory distress without medication. Both devices help relieve dry skin and nose. Ultimately, the type of machine you choose depends on your personal health, budget, age, and other aspects of your family’s health.
Regardless of the situation, using a steamer requires caution and you should not use it if your health does not provide suitable conditions for your use. First of all, be sure to monitor the humidity level in the environment well to prevent indoor allergies. Check with your allergist before you decide to use it. To ensure safe operation, clean your machine every day while it is in use, and be sure to follow the instructions for use. If you have respiratory illnesses such as asthma or bronchitis, always consult your doctor before deciding to use a steamer.
The page content is for informational purposes only. Items containing information about therapeutic health services are not included in the content of the page. Consult your physician for diagnosis and treatment.