Risky Pregnancy Abortion After Abortion
Unfortunately, miscarriage is the most common pregnancy loss. Approximately 10-25% of the pregnancies diagnosed end with miscarriage and most of them are in the first 8 weeks and up to the 12th week. Although it is a very sad situation, about 90% of the losses in this period are due to disability in the baby.
The main purpose of treatment after it is to prevent bleeding and infection. In early miscarriages, there is no need for any intervention because the body removes the whole fetus and placenta, but there is a high probability of remaining parts in the later period. The most common method of preventing bleeding and infection is curettage.
D&C means dilation and curettage. Dilation, dilation of the cervix, abortion, cleaning the parts remaining in the uterus. Curettage can be done with sharp curettes or a vacuum.
Is Abortion Necessary After Abortion?
About half of all miscarriages do not require an abortion. These are called complete (complete) lows, meaning there are no parts left inside. it is required for abortions with fragments inside, ie incomplete miscarriages. Complete abortion can be expected in incomplete abortions, but good follow-up is required for bleeding and infection. Since this process will usually belong, it is healthier to have it.
How to Perform an Abortion
İt can be done by hospitalizing the patient or sending it home afterward. Sedation or general anesthesia is good for the patient’s comfort. For it procedure:
- Antibiotics are started to prevent infection.
- If the cervix is narrow, it is expanded until it becomes suitable.
- Curettage is performed by vacuum aspiration or curettage with plastic cannulas.
- The procedure is terminated by checking the bleeding.
- Risks related to anesthesia; breathing, aspiration, and other risks
- Infection in the uterus and other organs
- Uterine perforation
- A tear in the cervix
- Re-abortion due to insufficient abortion
It should be remembered that there is almost no risk of abortion in experienced hands.
You can usually go home within 1-2 hours after it. If complications develop, the patient will be observed for a longer period of time. Antibiotics and painkillers are planned. Points to be considered at home after it:
- Usually, normal activities are returned within a few days, and even in the first 24 hours, everything except very hard work can be done.
- In the first 24 hours, there may be enough pain to need painkillers.
- Slight bleeding and groin pain are normal. Sometimes it can take up to 2 weeks.
- There should be no sexual intercourse and vaginal douching for 2 weeks.
- The tampon should not be used until the next menstrual period.
Situations In Which A Doctor Should Be Called Immediately:
The post-abortion complication rate is not very high. However, situations where you should call your doctor:
- Prolonged bleeding (more than 2 weeks)
- Prolonged cramping pain (more than 2 weeks)
- More bleeding than menstruation
- Severe and increased groin pain
- Fever of more than 38.3 C
- Foul-smelling discharge