Nutrition in Children with No Appetite
Lack of appetite in children is one of the most important problems that almost all parents complain about and have difficulty in finding solutions to. You can solve this problem, which can last from 8-9 months to school age, by choosing the right food at the right time, but most importantly, by approaching your child correctly.
“I can’t feed my child a meal”, “If I don’t give food for hours, he doesn’t care”… We often hear such complaints because almost every mother’s problem is the same, children with no appetite!
Although the child’s desire to eat changes in certain periods depending on the growth rate and personal situation, it constitutes the period when the appetite is at the lowest level, especially between the ages of 1-2. Especially in this period, choosing and refusing food is one of the common problems. If your child eats less on some days and more on some days, this is a natural feature of his age, so you do not need to focus on it. Also, if your child is used to eating often and less, you do not have to worry about “not getting enough food” as the food eaten in this way can have as much nutritional value as the main meal. However, if you have a long period of lack of appetite and insufficient weight, you should definitely consult a doctor, as this problem may be caused by intestinal parasites, constipation, anemia, or urinary tract infection.
WHY CAN CHILDREN BE DISABLED?
The problem of loss of appetite in children occurs in health problems such as teething, anemia, and febrile diseases, psychological traumas such as the divorce of the parents, but mostly as a result of the mistakes made by the parents in nutrition. Because putting pressure on the child to not eat, rewarding if he/she does not eat, punishing him when he/she does not do any good and causes the problem to get worse.
• Nutrition in Children with no appetite should first be examined by a pediatrician. Lack of appetite, iron deficiency, stomach problems, etc. There may be many physiological reasons. Apart from this, some problems experienced in the inner world of the child may also cause anorexia. If a physical or mental problem is detected, it must be resolved.
• Children who have anorexia problems should be fed less and frequently. The child should be offered food in the amount that he can consume. A large amount of food he will see on his plate can make him more appetite and discourage him.
• Care should be taken not to consume too much liquid before meals.
• Meal times should be determined and care should be taken to have a meal and chat with the family at the table.
• Some children may not want to consume certain foods. At this point, the correct nutrition education to be given to the child is very important. The method of insisting or punishing the child is not appropriate in this regard. This situation can further distract the child from that food.
• A child who does not want to drink milk should be told about the benefits of milk as it will strengthen him. Foods such as fresh fruit and honey can be added to the milk of a child who does not want to drink plain milk to make consumption easier. Separate and different shapes of the milk glass and the use of different straws can make drinking milk more attractive. It will be an exemplary behavior for the mother and father to consume milk with the child.
• Likewise, children who do not want to consume yogurt can consume, which is then diluted form of yogurt, more easily.
• A child who does not want to eat cheese can easily consume the cheese in an omelet, pastry, toast, or the cheese can be cut into animal shapes and decorated with various vegetables and presented to the child. A child who does not want to consume feta cheese can fondly consume cheddar cheese, knitted cheese, or tongue cheese.
• What needs to be done here is to make the unwanted food available to the child and make its presentation in a way that appeals to it.
• School-age children like to measure how much they grow from year to year. They want to be successful in school. Seeing that they achieve all these when they eat healthily will make them happy and motivate them.