As the big day approaches, a subject that gets on mothers’ minds; how to prepare a birth bag. Preparing a birthing bag is an enjoyable activity for expectant mothers, but on the other hand, it is an activity that worries about the possibility of forgetting something. With this comprehensive list, we will give you, you can define your own needs and be sure that everything necessary on the big day is with you.
When should a birthing bag be prepared?
The birth bag should be prepared at the latest 32 weeks to be prepared for the possibility of preterm birth. Before preparing a birthing bag, the first thing you need to do is learn about the services that the hospital where you will give birth. In many hospitals, basic needs such as a newborn kit or a toothbrush/paste that the mother can use are provided. For this reason, those who want to save the birth bag from unnecessary weight can use the items provided by the hospital. Some expectant mothers prefer to use their own belongings despite what the hospital provides. The list of maternity bags that we will give in this article is complete and deals with the basic items that should be with you in cases where the hospital does not provide anything.
Birth bag list
Birth bag list; It can be divided into three as those required for the baby, mother, and companion. In some cases, if the accompanying father is the father, the task of preparing this bag may fall on the mother.
They will be put in the birth bag for the baby
- 3 overalls,
- 3 bodies or bodysuits,
- 3 pairs of socks
- 2 vests,
- 2 hats,
- 2 pairs of gloves
- 2 blankets (considering the season, wool or combed cotton)
- 3-4 soft mouth wipes
- Newborn diapers (although they are provided by most hospitals, it is a good idea to have 1 pack with you.)
- Wet diaper wipes for newborns (provided by most hospitals)
- Diaper rash cream
- 1 bath towel
- Dirty bag
- Bedsheet (provided in most hospitals)
- Tipped bottle suitable for newborns (to use in cases where they cannot breastfeed)
- The carrycot/bouncer or car seat you will use to return home
Some mothers may need additional items for their babies in line with their beliefs and traditions. (Gold pillows, evil eye beads, scriptures, texts, etc.) It is not recommended to give pacifiers to newborns as it will reduce the baby’s breastfeeding. Although the clothes of the babies take up little space due to their small size, it should be taken into consideration that it will take up a lot of space with spare clothes and diapers because it is frequently dirty.
- If you have, your birth plan, hospital file, insurance card.
- One or two breastfeeding bras (cotton or breathable fabric should be preferred.)
- Breastfeeding athlete (Some mothers may be more comfortable with a breastfeeding tank that can be opened from the front instead of a bra.)
- 2-3 pieces of panties (Disposable panties can provide comfort for puerperal mothers, especially after cesarean delivery. When choosing the type of panties for this type of birth, you can pay attention not to pass over the wound area.)
- 2 pairs of front-opening nightgowns (In cesarean births, especially on the second day, you can be comfortable with a comfortable elastic front pajama set.)
- 1 dressing gown or shawl (It will be necessary not only to keep warm but also to wear on while walking in the hospital corridors.)
3-4 pairs of chest pads
- Nipple cream (Choosing creams that do not need to be wiped will make your job easier.)
- Heavy-duty sanitary pads (provided by most hospitals)
- Soft and warm socks
- Slippers (Although provided by most hospitals, you will be expected to take plenty of walking especially after a cesarean section. Therefore, you can choose comfortable, light, and non-slip slippers. Flip-flops are not preferred because it is difficult to wear with socks.)
- Nursing cover (Often breastfeeding can be disrupted by postpartum visitors, so it’s a good idea to get yourself a nursing cover.)
Face and bath towels (Taking a hot shower during contractions is recommended by some doctors because of its relaxing properties. Apart from this, you may need to take a shower after birth. Although towels are provided by most hospitals, some mothers prefer to use their own towels.)
- Your phone (Before taking your phone with you, make sure it has enough memory to take lots of photos of your baby. You can also load your phone with comforting and feeling good music while waiting for the birth.)
- Charger (A long corded charger will allow you to use it even while your phone is charging, without leaving your place.)
- A comfortable garment that you can wear when leaving the hospital (Although not as much as before, considering that you will still have a belly, you can arrange for yourself a comfortable dress that will not bore you.)
- Basic care products (toothbrush and paste, lip and face moisturizers, hand and body lotions, relaxing massage oils that can be used to relax during pains before birth, make-up products that you can apply quickly before taking a photo, natural deodorant or perfume that will not bother the baby)
That day is your day! For this reason, do not forget to take the small items that make you feel good as well as your basic needs. Some expectant mothers state that they find it comforting to look at the ultrasound photos of their babies or a small item they bought for their baby during the pain in the hospital. Some mothers can bring their own comfortable pillows to the hospital and a motivating book with them. Likewise, don’t forget to add a feel-good object to the birth bag.
Birth bag list for accompanying person
Your companion or partner will be just as excited for the big day as you are. Therefore, he can forget his own needs while preparing a bag.
- Basic care products that the companion can use (toothbrush, toothpaste, shaver, deodorant)
- A comfortable outfit to wear while staying the night
- Phone and charger
- Camera and charger
- Snacks a few foods (Note that it can wait up to 8 weeks in the bag.)
Birth bag preparation tips
Don’t be alone while preparing your birth bag
In the first hours after birth, you will not be able to stand up and bend down to grab anything from your bag. For this reason, make sure that your companion or partner has it with you while preparing it so that it can easily find what and wherein the delivery bag, or explain what is in which eye after you have prepared it.
Keep the birth bag modular
Instead of stacking all the items, 3 small bags can be prepared separately for the mother, companion, or baby, or needs can be placed in different compartments of a large bag.
Watch out for tiny items
Especially baby socks, booties, or gloves tend to get mixed up with other items because they are very small items, and can easily fall from the edge of the suitcase while picking up another item. For this reason, you can put these types of items in a clean, transparent lockable refrigerator bag. In this way, it will remain clean and can be found easily when searched.
Pay attention to where you put the bag
Once you’ve prepared the birthing bag, be sure to put it in a place at home that you can easily take alone. The location of the bag should be accessible and in a specific place enough to be easily taken. Although you will not go to the birth alone, in some cases, it is determined that the birth has started during the control, the mother may be kept in the hospital and the partner may need to bring the bag later.
We hope that you take your baby healthily and raise it with joy and peace.